What to know before you go car shopping
Before you start thinking about fun things like whether you want a convertible or a sports car, you need to do some self-examination. First and foremost, you need to examine your budget. You should set a reasonable price range for the car and begin to eliminate cars that are out of that price range. As a potential car buyer, you need to be realistic, don't fantasize about a R200,000 car when your budget will just barely support an R80,000 price-tag. Also, remember that trying to figure out a way to buy a car that is outside your price range is really not a good idea. After all, it's not much fun to have a car if you can't afford to go places in it.
You also need to know about your own credit history. If there's something that you think the dealer will ask, that's certainly something you should be prepared to answer. Many of the promotions that you see on television are reserved just for people with excellent credit. So having a copy of your own credit report is important. There are a variety of places to obtain a copy of your credit report. Large national credit bureaus such as Trans Union.
Finally, you need to know what your transport needs are:
- Do you need to haul heavy equipment? You may want to think about buying a "bakkie"
- Do you have a sizeable family or head up a carpool? You may want to think about a minivan or large sport utility vehicle (SUV).
- Do you live in an area where you need four-wheel drive? You may want to think about an SUV with all-wheel or four-wheel drive.
- Do you travel far or use the car rarely? If you log a lot of miles, you may want to research cars that get good fuel mileage.
- Do you have a towing requirement -- perhaps you need to tow a horse trailer a boat or a caravan? You may want to consider a vehicle with the required horsepower to tow more easily.
There's a vast amount of choices for today's car buyer. Knowing what your vehicle needs are, is the easiest way to begin eliminating some of those options. Eventually, with some additional research, you should be able to narrow the field down considerably.
When you figure out what car you want it is important to do your research by reading some car reviews in magazines and online. You can learn which cars are given high marks for safety, which cars get the best mileage, and so on. Once you've narrowed your list down to a few possibilities, you should read as many reviews on those makes and models as you can.
Another good way to find out about a car is by simply visiting Zahra Motors or contacting us directly. They will assist you to identify your needs and suggest a number of vehicles meeting your requirements.
Also, if you plan to trade in a car you already own, Zahra Motors will gladly accept any car as a trade in and will offer you the best possible price for your trade in vehicle.